[meteorite-list] Portales Valley

From: star-bits at tx.rr.com <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:56:49 -0400

     Portales Valley was my first hunt for a fresh fall. Mike Farmer called to tell me about the fall. I wasn't able to get away immediately, but I borrowed a bunch of cash and a couple days later met Mike and Jack and Devon Shrader in southern New Mexico and followed Mike back to the fall site. I wound up sharing a hotel room with Mike and the first night there 2 locals showed up with a couple stones looking for Mike. Mike graciously allowed me to buy one of the stones. As I recall it was a very metal rich 212 gram stone purchased for $1500. The next day Mike told me he had a buyer for the stone for $2500. Since I was working with borrowed money I took the sale and over the years have regreted it many times.

      I never found a piece myself, but from descriptions of later finds I was within 50 meters of a number of pieces. I met Skip Wilson and spent several hours talking with him at his house. Mike and I got to look over the meteorites Skip had found over the years and through Skip, Mike and I were able to purchase and split what came to be known as Roosevelt County 102.

Aside from being hot it was a very enjoyable time. Can't wait for the next fall.
--
Eric Olson
7682 Firethorn Dr