[meteorite-list] The Times archives

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:34:45 -0400

This is a terrific development.

The Times normally sells its database to libraries, and it is certainly not
for free! Many libraries in the NYC area even have a restriction that the
Times database must be used on site at the library to keep the cost down,
unlike other library databases maintained by the libraries that can be
accessed at home, so long as one has a library card.

I took a quick look, and it seems that the free part is only an introductory
offer. Still, if the price is reasonable, it is a great resource, and sure
beats traveling into the City to use the database on site at a public
library.

Will be interesting to see how this develops. Perhaps the Times realizes
there is more money to be made by selling the archives over the internet,
rather than focusing on library sales.

In any event, thanks so much for the information that this resource is now
available for free on line - at least for the time being!

Mark Grossman