[meteorite-list] Happy 10th Birthday Portales Valley - some more tidbits of interest

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2008 21:21:09 UT

Darryl Pitt about Portales Valley:

Darryl Pitt, who on behalf of the Macovich Collection has acquired nearly
10 kg of Portales Valley, reports that Netschaevo, a chemically anomalous
medium octahedrite with H6 silicate inclusions appears to be similar to
Portales Valley. Said Pitt, "It would seem that Portales Valley may end up
being classified as either a silicated or anomalous iron, and not a mesosiderite
or H6 as has previously been reported."

And Jeff Grossman commented:

"Obviously there is disagreement among scientists on what to call PV.
I personally see no reason to call it type 7, a primitive achondrite, an
achondrite or to coin a new term. If I take the conclusions of the Ruzicka
study as a given, that you had H6 material near its peak metamorphic
temperature, with additional shock heating and mobilization of metal-
rich melt, then I see no reason not call it an H chondrite impact melt
breccia in which the clasts are dominantly type 6."

Cheers,

Bernd