[meteorite-list] Happy 10th Birthday Portales Valley

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:54:55 -0700 (PDT)

Ten years ago today, June 13, 1998, one of the weirdest and most beautiful chondrites known fell in Portales, New Mexico.
I got a phone call from Jack Schrader, who said he saw it on the 10 pm news in Tucson that a large meteorite had fallen. Within an hour I was in my car on the road to New Mexico. This was my second fall chase in 3 months, as Monahans had fallen in Texas in March of 1998.
Portales was one of my favorite meteorite hunts, I found one stone, and bought many more for a total of more than 15 kilos. This was my first big score, and drove me to spend every minute on meteorites.
Happy Birthday to one of my favorite meteorites, it is hard to believe that a decade has passed!
Michael Farmer