[meteorite-list] Meteorite HDR photography

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:50:55 +0200

thanks for your kind reply Dave. It is not so much a question of display
size but rather of range. Our computer screens and printers are for the most
part 8 bit devices. The true HDR image is a 32bit file. To display HDR
images on a computer screen it has to be compressed. That is where a
technique named tone mapping comes into use. Tone mapping preserves the key
image details and color while approximating the shadows and highlights found
in the original HDR image. At least that is the theory. Unfortunately in the
real world a good part of quality is lost along the way.

Svend

www.meteorite-recon.com