[meteorite-list] Old guy doesn't find meteorite

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:34:04 -0400

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:15:36 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Darren and others-
> No, he probably didn't. But if it is special to him and fulfills his hopes- I say let him be.

So, better a comforting lie than a disappointing truth? How far should that
extend-- should any experts that he asks lie to him, too, just to comfort him?
Maybe best that they lie, then wait until he dies to tell his
children/grandchildren that he wanted to "pass it on to" the truth? At least a
museum (where he thought it might end up) would (hopefully) know better than to
display it...

Think he would enjoy being patronized just because he is old, or do you think
he'd be insulted by it?