[meteorite-list] Fourth Dwarf Planet Named Makemake

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:52:52 -0700 (MST)

This is the first time, as far as I can tell, that an IAU press release
actually says that plutoids are a subset of dwarf planets. If you ask the
right people (and refer back to the original defining of dwarf planets),
in the IAU resolution, it states that: "An IAU process will be established
to select a name for this category.? They did this with the creation of
plutoids, but never referred back to the original resolution, and never
actually said that plutoids were transneptunian dwarf planets.

Now, this is officially stated.

However, when the term plutoid was announced, it stated that ALL objects
brighter than a certain level (implying size) were to be defined as
plutoids, and that implies there are about 40 other known plutoids, not
just 4. Are they backing down on this until they have more information on
these other objects?

Larry