[meteorite-list] Drilling meteorites to make jewelry

From: Nicholas Gessler <gessler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:19:35 -0700

Hi Dean,

Diamond bits.
They come in all sizes, use with lots of water...
I might have some around, but you can get them at most gem and jewelery shows
and certainly at Tucson. I may have some around. Try looking at the
websites for
Dremel and Fordham tools...

What I'd like to find are some diamond hole drills.
I have some that are up to about 1/2 inch diameter, but they have a
rather large kerf.
I'd like to core some good looking meteorites to get the 20grams for
the labs and
not damage the appearance of my meteorites. Bore the hole. Break
out the core.
Fill the hole with some filler and paint it. Minimal change to the
appearance of the
meteorite - ample sample extracted.

Cheers,
Nick