[meteorite-list] Meteorite Parent Bodies

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 05:16:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi Pete and Michael:

The latest information that I am aware of is by Rivkin, et al. in Icarus
in 2006. Ceres is a G-class asteroid (similar to the C-class,
carbonaceous, asteroids, but with some differences in its visible spectrum
and a little brighter). Rivkin's analysis (of 3-micron observations) is
that Ceres is composed of iron-rich clays and about 5% carbonates, which
makes it similar to CI meteorites. However, there are other G-class
asteroids, so the connection is not as clear cut as with Vesta and the
vestoids (sounds like a rock group).

Larry