[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - July 15, 2008

From: Mike Jensen <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:13:38 -0600

Hi all
What a very excellent image of an unusual meteorite. Thanks Anne for
sending it to Michael to be put up on his fine site.
The text below the image mentions structurally and chemically
anomalous. The chemical classification has been unofficially changed
to IIG. I say unofficial because no paper has been presented to define
the group...at least that I am aware of. Other members of the group
are Auburn, Bellsbank, Tombigbee River and Twannberg. The good news is
Grossmans DB lists it using the IIG classification....so it can
probably be considered official.
Also its structural classification is just a regular old Hexahedrite
with no need for the anomalous descriptor.
So it should be listed as an IIG, HEX

As a side note we as members of the meteorite community should be
checking our listings of classifications before we publish them to
this list or any other place on the web. Once an error is published to
the internet it is hard to change. We should always use official
classifications wherever possible.
My recommendation is the Michael as editor of his fine site should
always check the classification but obviously it would be best if the
submitter did that first....and much easier for an already overworked
and underpaid editor.

Mike

--
Mike Jensen