[meteorite-list] Re Cu meteorite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:56:31 -0500

Hi, Larry, List,

    No one interested in things that fall from the sky
should omit reading the four books of Charles Fort.
Fort was a reporter-turned-researcher around 1900.
He wrote in the 1920's. He collected "impossible"
facts soberly reported in everything from major
newspapers to scholarly journals. They are a gold
mine of data. Fort was a skeptic (of everything
including science) and only satiric in suggesting
explanations. He's very readable.

    Apparently, everything you can think of (and a
few things you never thought of) have fallen from the
sky. Freeman Dyson, who suggested the fish from
Europa arriving freeze-dried on Earth, got the idea
after reading Fort.

    And Fort always finds delightfully embarassing
scientific opinions, like this one:

    "As late as November, 1902, in _Nature Notes_,
13-231, a member of the Selborne Society still argued
that meteorites do not fall from the sky; that they are
masses of iron upon the ground "in the first place,"
that attract lightning; that the lightning is seen, and is
mistaken for a falling, luminous object..."

    There are lists of events described at the time as
"earthquakes" where ground shocks are accompanied
by high winds, bright lights in the sky or "meteors,"
dark clouds, explosions, black rains, none of which
have any connection whatsoever with earthquakes but
which sound a great deal like airbursts to me.

Sterling K. Webb