[meteorite-list] Ohio and Indiana gold, silver, and diamonds

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 11:44:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone -

I did not cover "Hopewell" silver and gold trade in my book, as the items were rare and there are multiple small deposits throughout eastern North America to account for them.

I have been driving through this area (Greenville to Cincinatti) on my way to and from powwow, and I don't know if what I have learned will be of any value, but here goes.

What this team seems to have found is gold, sliver, and diamond deposits sourced from Canada, and dated ca 10,900 BCE. I think the edge of the glacial maximum is well known to be north, so they are left looking for a transport mechanism.

Obviously they know nothing of the mechanics of hyper velocity impact - it is frustrating that Dr. Peiser and has taken the Cambridge Conference and his abilities in other directions, and the Holocene Impact Working Group does not seem to have found these folks yet.

There are two main streams running north to south through the region. One is 7 mile Creek, the other the Whitewater River. There was extensive later occupation along the Whitewater, with major complexes near Richmond, Indiana from the archaic on. Sterling, that appears to be your melt channels. The timing the team seems to have, but the cause?...

Among the Europeans at the time of conquest there were extensive rumors of Shawnee silver, source unknown. These rumors have fascinated local people for a long time. In the "Treaty" of Vinceennes, Benjamin Henry Harrison even reserved a piece of land on the Vermillion River off of the Wabash which he thought was the silver source.

I had thought that the silver came from DeSoto's expedition, as they placed small silver crosses on the foreheads of "friendly" Natives to distinguish them from enemy peoples in battle. Perhaps these deposits may explain De Soto's routes and activities, but who knows? Much later, French traders brought in small crosses and other trinkets.

In closing, in as much as the exploration of recent impact sites is a new field of science, could I ask you to keep your comments civil?

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas