[meteorite-list] Hopewell Iron not from Brenham?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

I hope this link to Prufer's 1961 paper works:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:cGSQ6WmkN1kJ:https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/1811/4817/1/V61N06_341.pdf+Hopewell+gold+artifacts&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=19&gl=us

according to the analysis, Hopewell iron was not from Brenham.

The lack of finds in Illinois seems to clinch his argument. I did not know of his paper when I wrote "Man and Impact in the Americas"; I wish I had.

Does anyone have any estimates on how far away the Brenham impact would have been audable/visible? The Five Nations appear to have remembered an iron fall about the time of Brenham, so I am now beginning to suspect an iron stream of fragments.

Given this situation, the distribution of the Hopewell iron artifacts becomes much more interesting.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas