[meteorite-list] AD: Special NWA 5038 L6-IMB & NWA 4927 elegant CV3

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:41:05 +0100

Dear collectors,

for this week's Special we chose two less pricy but nevertheless
illustrative meteorites, hence by all means suitable also for a not yet so
advanced collection.

First is the fine L6 impact melt breccia (IMB) NWA 5038.

IMBs tell us about the tumultuous and violent scenes on the surfaces of
asteroids, which we else are watching in TV-documentations so peacefully
drifting through space.

IMBs are products of high energetic, crater building impacts on asteroids.
The pressures at such major impacts exceed 90 GPa, so that the rock beneath
the crater floor will be heftily fragmented and will partially or totally
melt. IMBs range beyond the usual shock scale (that S2, S3 ect. you find
given with the data of most meteorites).

Such a scenario you'll have petrified in our NWA 5038. Fragments of the
original chondritic L6-rock, often having lost their structure, are embedded
like loose jigsaw pieces in a black melt.

This IMB is such a stone, which strongly looses contrast if grinded, so we
let the slices unpolished.
Prices vary between 3$ and 3.5$/g depending on size.
Here you are:
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/special-nwa5038.html

Perhaps a remark, of course such impacts aren't restricted to chondritic
asteroids. How such impact-products look on Vesta, you can observe here with
an eucritic IMB:
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/nwa5036-3.432g.jpg
(NWA 5036, tkw 53g, - last slice for sale)

Second offer of our Special holds the line of our carbonaceous series.
After CKs, CM1, CM2 we present today with NWA 4927 an elegant CV3.
It displays the whole glut of various chondrules, wherefor the
type-3-addicted love the CV3s, as well as fine CAIs. (Note especially that
one on the edge with more than 1cm across.)
Perhaps also for the newer collectors - CAIs are the white, irregular shaped
inclusion, they are the first solid matter of our solar system.
NWA 4927 is very weakly shocked (S2) and with W2 fresher than the average
CV3s, like for instance the very popular NWA 3118 with its dozens of
pairings.
Rule of thumb: The more black, the less brown you see in a CV3, the fresher
it is.

Today we offer a set of fullslices with crust and an expertly polish.
It will take you only an instance of googling to find comparable material
priced between 20-30$/g,
but a Special is special - so we say 10$/g.

http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/special-nwa4927.html

All the best,

Stefan Ralew & Martin Altmann
Chladni's Heirs
Munich - Berlin
Fine Meteorites for Science & Collectors