[meteorite-list] Ber5nd Pauli's excellent abstract of Burke part 1

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:04:02 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 18:51:43 +0200
From: Bernd Pauli HD
<bernd.pauli at lehrer1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To: Meteorite List
Subject: Native Americans and Meteorites - Part 1 of 6

Jeanne wrote:

> I was also wondering if your book mentions anything
> about Native American usage of Canyon Diablo irons
> for tools, amulets or other spiritual items.

Hello Jeanne and List,

Now, here is what I culled from BURKE:

BURKE J.G. (1986) Cosmic Debris - Meteorites in
History, pp. 223-225:

Thus, there is now considerable doubt that the black
stone of the Ka'ba is a meteorite. Whether or not the
stones worshiped by the Greeks and Romans were
meteorites is also a question, since none of these
objects have survived the centuries. There are only
the considerable number of legends.

In contrast, archaeologists, explorers, and farmers
have found about a dozen meteorites of fragments of
meteorites in North America in circumstances which
indicate that they were worshiped, venerated, or at
least prized, but for most, no legend exists. Two of
these are pallasites; the rest are irons.

What is intriguing is that for most, the degree of
corrosion gives evidence of a very long terrestrial
age, meaning that the falls occurred thousands of
years before Indian natives populated North America.
The Morito iron, which the Indians of Chihuahua,
Mexico, venerated in pre-Columbian times, probably
fell
within the last two thousand years, according to
Buchwald, and may, therefore, have been witnessed.

There are only a few clues as to why the meteorites
were venerated, and one can only surmise why the
natives believed that the objects in question had
fallen from the sky.

Best regards,

Bernd