[meteorite-list] Asteroid Impacts May Have Triggered PlateTectonics(OT)

From: Jerry <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:08:57 -0500

Hi Elton, thanks for the input. I regret that I may have been too parochial
in my presentation.
I merely used what I know about the geology of my locale, New England
[which, as you aptly pointed out, needs considerable refinement] to present
a fanciful possibility that meteorite chains impacting with enough force in
strategic areas [hot spots, etc.] punching through the crust, might initiate
separation of continental masses, creating new plate boundaries.
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately for me, they are familiar. Too much for
me to retain and integrate but I keep trying. I figure in another 20 years
or so, if I keep recognizing them I may be a step closer to understanding.
P.S. It is not impossible for rift valleys to exist at the foot of mountain
ranges.
Jerry Flaherty