[meteorite-list] BBC Sky at night prog features meteorites( credits Mike Farmer) + Haag prog.

From: ensoramanda <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:15:51 +0000

Hi again,

First of all...thanks to all those that replied to my post Dirk, Ian,
Peter, Jason, etc. about the possible impact crater formation I
photographed whilst flying over N China/Mongolia.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o43/LaburnumStudio/Craters/Crater-.jpg

I am still not convinced that I have identified it.

Some of you helped by plotting the flight path from London to HongKong
to narrow down the search...but the most likely known crater....Tabun
Khara Obo crater..seems to be too far east of the flight path...although
it looks about right.

Next..

Interesting series on UKTV Documentary at the moment...Earthshock...last
nights was about earth impacts and featured Bob Haag for a while hunting
and in his strongroom.

I seem to be having a great meteorite month. (Pity I cant cap it with a
Tucson Visit :-( ) This months BBC Sky at Night is on cosmic debris? I
just caught up with it online (after my trek around the Ozzy meteorite
museums and craters).... at...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/spaceguide/skyatnight/proginfo.shtml

worth a look...you can watch it online for a while. Mike is credited for
his Carancas pictures which feature prominently.

It just so happens it features Dr Richard Greenwood whom Prof Colin
Pillinger referred me to when we met at a recent Flamsteed lecture.

http://www.open.ac.uk/science/pssri/about-the-department/news/news.php?article_id=12768

Some nice info on their site about involvement in the Stardust, Rosetta
and other missions too.

Quite a coincidence as Richard is showing me around their facilities and
collection tomorrow.
He has just helped with the classification of Carancas...quote

"In terms of meteorite samples we have pretty much finished our work on
Carancas. The Peruvian mineralogical survey were able to supply a sample
for oxygen isotope analysis and we were able to confirm its
classification as H4/5 ( Met. Bull
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/index.php "

So looking forward to heading down to the OU with some unclassified
samples in the morning.

Graham Ensor, Nr Barwell, UK

Very best wishes

Richard

So tomorrow I am off with some of my space rocks to look around the
meteorite collection and classification facilities at the OU Planetary
and Space Sciences Research Institute in Milton Keynes.....should be fun!