[meteorite-list] Asteroid Impacts May Have Triggered Plate Tectonics

From: Jerry <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:43:01 -0500

I guess my musings and Vicki Hansen's researched hypothesis aren't related,
in time anyway.
My musing only takes into account the fact that the Connecticut River
Valley, 100 miles from the coast, is thought to be the result a collision of
ancient plate boundaries.
The fact the the much later break-up occurred not there, at the Berkshire
Mountains margin, but 100+ miles from the CRV, just made me wonder if
another mechanism might be at work.
Granted, the coastal region, at least where glacial debris has not cover it
up, is host to a string of ancient extinct volcanoes 30 miles south of
Boston through the Canadian Provinces across the Atlantic through the Celtic
isles into Scandinavia. And the "brittle" nature of these lavas may be
provide sufficient explanation for the modern continental configuration
given appropriate stresses applied through the mechanism of tectonics.
But musing doesn't cost much and cataclysm "of the mind" doesn't hurt.
Jerry Flaherty