[meteorite-list] RFS Picture of the Day - Mark Crawford's NWA 4680

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2008 21:38:18 UT

Hello Mark, Michael J., and List,

NWA 4680 is one of my favorite meteorites from Carsten Giessler. It's a beautiful,
fresh, brecciated L4-6 chondrite (S3; W1) with a TKW of 3830 gr. I have a complete
slice and a broken individual. The latter has frothy, warty, black fusion crust with
delicate wrinkles on its rear side, some lipping and flightmarks and there are clearly
visible contraction cracks in the crust that nicely contrasts with the light-blue, cloudy
matrix of this metal- and troilite-rich chondrite. My 52-gram slice features a 5mm metal-
rimmed troilite inclusion. A beautiful meteorite!

Cheers,

Bernd