[meteorite-list] What are we doing? Ahhhh!

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:05:34 -0500

Hi Ruben and all,

People who think their rock is worth $300,000 or millions is because of
hype by the news media. They will mention some rare type specimen which
sold for or which is estimated by some personnel of some museum, school
or college (and probably don't have the foggiest notion of what space
rocks are truly worth) to be worth six or seven figures. There fore
anyone with any rock or meteorite find, will automatically think their
rock is worth that much because it is "THEIR" rock.
In reality any meteorite is ultimately _worth_ what someone will pay for
the specimen. In some cases rarity, low total known weight or some
unusual circumstance dictates the true price.

Having checked out about a thousand plus leads over the years what truly
gets me is the people who do not have a meteorite going from dealer to
dealer or museum or university and trying to get someone to say their
rock is a meteorite when it simply isn't a meteorite. I've got a guy
over in Ohio who has wasted countless of peoples time and will not
accept the facts.

What scares me about your contact is the fact they are from China and
probably have a dag nab Nan tan worth much less than I would pay and
yes, it could be that true one exception of a case who truly have a
unique meteorite but then that's a one to a ten thousand chance.

In the end all we can do is educated and set people straight (if they
will listen) and let them know the realities of buying space rocks. All
my best!

--AL Mitterling