[meteorite-list] If I could pick my first one

From: Peter A Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:11:37 -0600

When I moved to Odessa, the Odessa crater was extremely difficult to get to.
Actually, I didn't find out there was even a crater till I had been there about 4 years.
One weekend, with nothing to do, I finally found the trailer beside the crater.
There was a grizzly older gent who let me look around the crater. After looking around
he invited me inside and showed me a number of meteorites from around the area.
I wasn't allowed to hunt myself as it was private land so I elected to buy a small 20
gram
piece that was all covered with fusion crust, which I put on the grinder wire brush and
promptly cleaned all the fusion crust off. (Now I know better.)
Much later, an overpass was put in on the interstate and the road to the crater was
paved.
This made the crater very accessible. A very nice museum was built and a cement path
into the crater as well as around the rim made a visit by passers by easy to exit the
interstate,
have a look see and get back on their way
The irony of all this is that I found that I lived on the very edge of the strewn field.
I've actually found one on my property about a year ago.
Now, if I could pick and choose my first, I think I would like a large slice of a
palaside.
I would want nice large pieces of olivine crystals scattered thruout. This is my dream
first piece.
Pete