[meteorite-list] Comment on Fireston rebuttal

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:48:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

The review team did a good job, but...

We also have the peoples' accounts to deal with.
It seems to me that there was no reason for them to
create such extraordinary parts of their histories,
unless some extraordinary and memorable event actually
happened.

I think we have a rough idea of the normal flux of
micro-meteorites, so the black mat data will have to
be examined in terms of that.

I agree with them that the Carolina Bays are probably
not part of the holocene start impact, but it is
possible that they came from an impact megatsunami ca.
8,350 BCE. Another USGS team is working on the coastal
Atlantic sequence.

The rebuttal team also graciously ignored the peppered
mammoth tusks, but then these are clearly from a
separate iron impact event.

good hunting,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas