[meteorite-list] ARTIC IRONS: THE HUNT IS ON

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:00:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

I know I'm screaming with the caps, but this just came
in from Dr. Firestone:

Mr. Grondine:

Consider the doctorate honorary.[In an earlier
message, I told Dr. Firestone that he was mistaken in
calling me "Dr." Grondine.] We had to go through
thousands of mammoth tusks at the Canada Fossils
warehouse to find 7 with meteoritic impacts. Canada
Fossils gathers tusks from various suppliers but they
suggested that these fossils likely came from near the
Yukon River. We also have a bison skull containing
micrometeorites that comes from Siberia. The exact
locations are unknown. A candidate crater of about
the right age (34 kyr BP) is Sithylemenkat Lake Crater
in Alaska. Presumably the Fe-Ni meteor exploded over
the mammoths and a large piece continued on forming
the crater. My poster from the AGU Meeting is on-line
at http://ie.lbl.gov/mammoth/impact.html.

Regards,
Rick Firestone

Sorry guys, but it looks like there won't be a Haag
Crater, or Farmer Crater - at least not this time, for
this one. My assumption right now is that this crater
has been identified by someone with the Impact Field
Studies Group, but we'll see.

It's also strange, but it appears an intensely skilled
physicist like Dr. Firestone still does not have a
really firm grasp of the parent bodies and the
mechanics of hypervelocity impact - if he had only met
Dr. Holsapple or Dr. Melosh, all of this would be
proceeding even quicker than it is. More NSF and NASA
money would have been a help as well.

good hunting all,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas