[meteorite-list] Carancas crater

From: Ted Bunch <tbear1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:07:47 -0700

I am not sure why there is an argument about whether or not Carancas is an
impact crater. Of course it is! In scientific terminology, impact pit is not
acceptable. Let's review the facts:

1) The Carancas crater was produced by a hypervelocity impactor that
excavated a deep hole and formed a raised rim of target materials
(unconsolidated clastic debris).
2) Produced ejecta rays out 350 m from the crater
3) The event had sufficient shock energy to cause classic shock features in
target quartz.
4) There is no size limitation for use of the term "crater" as long as the
feature fits the accepted scientific constraints, e. g., formed by
hypervelocity impact. LDEF (Long Duration Exposure Facility) flew in space
for 5.5 years and studies of the facility skin showed thousands of craters
as small as a few microns. Similar tiny craters have been found all over
space shuttle vehicles. Apollo glassy spherules and rock samples show tiny
impact craters as do several meteorite surfaces. In all of these cases,
scientific reports used the term "crater".

Ted Bunch

(an innocent bystander with 40 + years of professional experience in impact
cratering)