[meteorite-list] Carancas crater

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:40:39 -0800 (PST)

I did not realize that the website you listed was the
definitive and final place which determines craters vs
pits. It seems that some of the top scientists in the
world think that it is a crater, perhaps you should
enlighten them.
Carancas is a crater, and I am not sure:), but I do
believe that the impact of a meteorite created it,
thus, I am still confused, but would that not tend to
suggest that it is meteoritic? Adam, I think
regardless of whether it is a common chondrite, the
simple fact that it exists forces science to
re-calculate its models for impact craters by
chondrites. So Carancas is extremely important. I
forsee papers written about Carancas for decades.
There will be no roof built, the crater is already
mostly destroyed (as I predicted that it would be,
thanks to those of us who went there, at least some
material was preserved).
Michael Farmer