[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day / NWA 4024

From: Peter Marmet <p.marmet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:08:52 +0100

Hello All,

> http://www.rocksfromspace.org/February_24_2008.html
We have several pieces of very likely the same meteorite.
First we thought it might be paired with NWA 2680.
Further analyses at the Nat. Hist. Museum in Bern showed that this is
not the case:

Ni 8.58 und 7.82 % (NWA 2680: 13.7%)
Co 0.47 und 0.46 % (NWA 2680: 0.54%)
Cu <10 ppm (NWA 2680: 548 ppm)

Ni and Cu contents show that our material is very likely not paired
with NWA 2680.

Then we saw high res. picts of NWA 4024 and noticed that our material
looks visually identical to NWA 4024.
We sold several pieces on ebay as "new iron" last year.
Unfortunately the museum in Bern could not classify our material, so
we sent 25 grams to Dr. Greshake
in Berlin. To be sure that it is the same material as NWA 4024, he
suggested to make an O-Isotope analysis which he can't do
himself but scientifists in England he is working with. But it seems
that our material is right at the bottom of the
priority list of these English scientists - so we have to be patient.
As soon we have the results from England, we will inform you and put
some of our material on ebay again.

For those who already have bought from our material and are waiting
for the final results....thank you for being so patient!

Peter

Peter Marmet
Bern, Switzerland
IMCA #2747