[meteorite-list] Breaking news-satellite hit/ reporter's view

From: Bob King <nightsky55_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:05:04 -0600

Hi Bob and all,
I work in the "media" at a newspaper here in Duluth as a photographer
and understand your concerns. It's true that reporters will call or
visit Billy Bob or whoever makes an uninformed claim but the good ones
will always try to find another source to confirm or verify an event
like a meteor(ite) fall. If they don't, their editors will get on
their case.
 We might call the local planetarium for example or ask someone at one
of the universities to get some background information and an
assessment. I do think it's a reporter's job to ask lots of questions
beyond what's written in press releases. I overhear reporters all the
time digging for more information from their subjects and asking the
hard questions. Sometimes people won't give the real answers or
they'll give them but only off the record. Of course the newspaper
(and Web) is a beast that must be fed with content every day. Not
every story can be reported in the depth it needs to be. Rest assured
however, that at least in medium to large newspapers, the reporters
are generally a skeptical bunch. The best ones have built up reliable
sources and are not as likely to be bamboozled. The younger ones don't
have this advantage to start and are naturally more naive but they
learn.
At the news meetings, I'm often the skeptic and ask to make sure we
get at least a second point of view especially when we do a story on
say, a psychic or some amazing claim.
The most annoying thing working for a newspaper are the many people
who are convinced we have hidden agendas when we write or photograph.
Most of us are working stiffs just like the rest of the world.
TV journalism is very different from newspapers. The staffs are very
small compared to newspapers and the depth of reporting is lacking.
When mistakes are made on air, they're rarely corrected.
Bob