[meteorite-list] What doesn't this list use an online forum format?

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:51:36 -0700

Dear Listees:

I find it bizarre and somewhat annoying that every so often someone
joins the M-List and then tries to change it. "Why isn't it this way or
that way?" you ask.

The M-List, along with "Meteorite Times," are the cornerstones of the
international meteorite collecting community and the List works great
just the way it is. If you don't want to read the "as it happens" news,
subscribe to the daily digest. Very easy.

The List has been around for 11 (?) years. I've been a member for more
than ten, and I also run a large international fossil discussion group
-- The Paleolist -- which employs exactly the same excellent Mailman
software which Art Jones uses to run the M-List. In fact, I modelled
the Paleolist after the M-List in some respects (thank you Art),
because it does work so very well.

I've also been a web professional for more than ten years and in my
experience, forums are difficult and inefficient to use, have security
and reliability issues, and -- please! -- the suggestion about moving
to Yahoo Groups? That is the WORST available discussion format --
loaded with cheap ads and with Yahoo's tacky, antiquated and
user-unfriendly features slapped on top.

The M-List is the biggest and best meteorite discussion group out
there, and I'm quite sure it always will be. Love it or leave it : )

Respectfully,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org
www.campometeorites.com