[meteorite-list] SCAMMER Safety Rules for the Meteorite Collector

From: Don Merchant <dmerchan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:42:28 -0500

Sorry to repeat this but my "subject line" was misspelled.
Anyways.......

Hi List. I understand that we as collectors are looking for that "DEAL of a
Lifetime on EBay" Unfortunately there are always that Unforeseen "Pothole",
"Bump in the Road" "Snake in the Grass and that "SCAM of all SCAMMERS" that
we may encounter as Meteorite Collectors, especially if we don" keep our
"GPS" on at ALL TIMES. As a collector/Dealer for many years I will pass on
some no brainier Rules that if you follow them, they may help many of you
(especially novices) avoid that SCAMMER or MISREPRESENTED Deal of a
Lifetime Meteorite!

RULE 1)--- Low Feedback of a Meteorite Seller equals Inexperience! PERIOD!.
My Motto---Less then 100 your gonna get BLUNDERED!

RULE 2)---Stay with the Tried and True. This means Deal ONLY with the those
Top Dealers-Remember their names and their EBay names PERIOD! Don't get me
wrong here. I understand we will have those collectors that occasionally
sell their meteorite (s) so as to upgrade to a bigger piece or who have run
into a financial dilemma. It happens. If that's the case---then--- if no COA
(Certificate of Authenticity) or Proof of Past Purchase from a reputable
source (Original Identification Card, Paperwork ect.) DON'T BID. PERIOD!.
Move on.

RULE 3)--- ASK QUESTIONS! Email the individual. Ask for proof. Ask who they
purchased that piece from. Ask for solid conformation that the piece they
are selling is a confirmed a Meteorite. Have them email/fax a copy of it. If
they can't SUBSTANTIATE-- DON'T NEGOTIATE!!

RULE 4)--- PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. Don't ever feel that this is the
last chance to get a meteorite for that LOW once in a lifetime PRICE!!
Remember "You Get What You Pay For" Shop around! Check out the different
"REPUTABLE METEORITE SITES" and compare prices. It is very easy to fall into
the "Red Flag I'm with Stupid Club" If something seems FISHY-- IT IS!

RULE 5)--- We here on the List are Family. We take care of our Family. If
you see something NOT RIGHT ***REPORT IT*** We have some excellent people
here on this LIST that can smell a Fart in the WIND 4 Miles away!! So Use
this Resource. PERIOD! That is why we are here. If you choose to IGNORE --
Then your cash is out the DOOR!

So in Closing--Keep your eyes open, follow your instincts, and keep that
wallet closed until you know all is legit. Most auctions last 6 days. More
then enough time to research or contact the List to warn and or to avoid a
trip down the road with STUPID and his twin brother STUPID!! If you decide
to join the STUPID CLUB that's your choice. Just don't put that piece of COW
CHIP you purchased back on EBay as all EYES will be watching YOU!!

Sincerely
Don Merchant
IMCA #0960