[meteorite-list] DoD To Engage Decaying Satellite

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:34:54 -0700

I think you are largely correct that the safety of people on the ground
is a minor component of the decision to fragment this satellite. That
said, however, the behavior of decaying space debris isn't all that
different from the behavior of a meteor. Just as the interior of a
meteorite isn't significantly heated during its passage through the
atmosphere, the interior of debris need not reach high temperatures
during decay. We know nothing about the location of the fuel tank in
this satellite, but if it's buried inside, I think it is at least
possible it could survive to the ground intact.

I recall that nematodes for biological experiments aboard the Columbia
shuttle survived reentry.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory