[meteorite-list] The "3:00pm" fall statistic?

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:04:41 -0500

Chris,
That probably is a myth (I've never heard that one), at least to some
extent, but there is a thread of truth in it. It is far likelier that
material falling after noon and before midnight, local time, will survive
passage through the atmosphere. This has to do with entry speeds, and when
they get too high, as is most often the case with retrograde approaches
(where they are hitting us from the direction towards which we are moving),
there is little chance of survival because the combined speeds of Earth and
the meteoroid create a scenario where the atmosphere is almost like a solid.
Progrades catch up with us, so speeds seem to be much lower (though they are
at least 11 km/sec due to Earth's gravity) and chances of survival go up
dramatically. If you take out the late hours, during which most people are
either sleeping or at least inside and less likely to witness the fall, 3 pm
is probably close to an average time in the likely windows of survival and
witness accounts.
Dave