[meteorite-list] U.S. To Shoot Down Defunct Spy Satellite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:41:25 -0600

Hi,

    While I agree the likelihood of meaningful debris is very
small, this NYTimes piece:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/15/us/15satellite.html?em&ex=1203224400&en=2350567d2300e89b&ei=5087%0A
contains a prediction that a successful hit on USA-193 will
produce "100,000" pieces of new debris. I think that is a
complicated engineering question that was almost certainly
NOT evaluated by the person quoted, but I suppose it is
a possibility.

    Rob pointed out that only a very small percentage of the
debris will be directed into potentially dangerous orbits, but
a "small percentage" of 100,000 is still a respectable number.

    The NYTimes piece contains further details of interest. The
three-ship flotilla tasked with the takedown will operate in the
North Pacific where, depending on the orbital inclination, a
stripe running "down orbit" could stretch around the planet
for a full orbit, down the Pacific, then across Antarctica, up
the Atlantic, over the Arctic, or as close to this ideal as can be
managed.

    I hope there's some attempt to derive as much data as
possible from this little adventure. The SM-3's return a lot of
data. There should be tracking ships "down the line," I would
think, to determine the progress of the breakup and to check
for big chunks. Since the Times article implies that there will
be only the one cruiser, it is unlikely that there will be more
than the one attempt.

Sterling K. Webb