[meteorite-list] U.S. To Shoot Down Defunct Spy Satellite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:33:21 -0600

Hi,

    One news report says that a Pentagon spokesperson has said
that USA-193 will be taken out by an "SM-3" missile, and several
news reports have made mention of a U.S. Navy cruiser as the
platform for the USA-193 takedown.

    A thorough rundown of the RIM-161 SM-3 Aegis Ballistic
Missile Defense system can be found at the following webpage:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/sm3.htm

    The Aegis SM-3 is designed as a defense against short- and
intermediate-range ballistic missiles. It uses long-wave infrared
sensors with a range of 300 km. The KW (Kinetic Warhead) is
a self-contained unit with its own solid rocket engines, its own
control and guidance system, and its own brain, which is "smart"
enough to discriminate between true targets and decoys, radar-
confusing shapes and other defensive measures.

    Since USA-193 has no defenses nor ability to maneuver, it can
safely be considered a sitting duck, I think, and not a match for
the SM-3:
    "Discrimination algorithms enable defense systems to compare
objects in a target scene to determine which to intercept. Increasingly
complex threats with separated target elements, countermeasures,
and debris, require advanced signal processing and discrimination
algorithms to identify object features needed to provide robust target
selection. SM-3 has flown and demonstrated fundamental discrimination
capability for unitary threats."

    USA-193 should be a goner. Compared to the "usual" target for an
SM-3, it's lower, less deceptive, less defended, unshielded, uncloaked,
too warm (infra-red, remember?) -- however, it is faster than a shorter-
range ballistic missile would be.

    Will the SM-3 pass the "eBay test"? That is, no surviving pieces
make it to Earth that are big enough to sell on eBay? We'll know in
a few weeks.

Sterling K. Webb