[meteorite-list] Al Haggounia 001 NWA 2965 and NWA 2828 I found a slice that sugests brec...

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:18:47 EST

Hi all, I know the question concerning Al Haggounia 001 or common pairings
of NWA 2965 and NWA 2828 have been on the list for some time but this is
still interesting. Some firmly stand by the call of EL3 and others Aubrite.

NWA 2965 is commonly associated with the bark brown phase and NWA 2828 with
the "Blue" phase. As they both come from the same location, the theory of
the differences between the two is centered in different weathering processes
or extent of weathering.

I have seen structure differences in the two when viewed at high
magnification and because of this I have cut hundreds of fragments looking for an
example with both material in one stone. I have seen examples of Blue phase
stained brown (and presented as both phases) in one slice but I have never
personally seen it in hand or been convinced by a photo.

I just cut a 710gr individual with both and it looks like a breccia not a
gradual transition but clear one material and then the other.

My contention is this material is a breccia and perhaps, two different types
are present.

Tom Phillips

48)