[meteorite-list] Show Information and Availability of NWA 5000, "The Rock"

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:24:47 -0800 (PST)

Dear List Members,

Thank you all for the emails in regards to Northwest
Africa 5000, ?The Rock.? I apologize for the lack of
response recently as my email box is stuffed full.
When I get a chance, I will forward the messages to
the rest of team who deserves a good portion of the
credit, because without them, this project would
quickly become unmanageable.

I will not be able to answer many emails at this point
in time as almost every spare minute is being used to
get inventory ready for the Tucson Show. The only
piece out of independent evaluation is the specimen
entered in the Michael Blood auction which was the
very first specimen to receive a rating. It rates a 9
overall with a ?+? for presentation. Here are the 9
points: G3, I0, M3, R1, SF2, WF0; I will provide the
independent evaluation key at the show in the
portfolios that come with each rated piece. I will
discuss the new rating system during the show and
afterwards but can not get into it right now due to
time constants.

I have no working inventory at this time as the
evaluations and inventory will not be delivered to me
until early next week. Then the pieces will be
appraised Monday and Tuesday. The appraisals will
range from $800.00 a gram for unrated fragments (13.6
grams Total Available Weight with some real Gems mixed
in) and then progress upwardly as there is no fixed
price per gram. Although only a few pieces will make
it to a ?10? rating, there is no such thing as an
undesirable piece as they are all beautiful --
remember that a ?0? rating is average across the board
for all lunar material. There are a few pieces that
pulled only a ?2? or ?3? rating and will be offered at
a steep discount. Most of the pieces rate in the ?5?
or ?6? range so the piece in the Blood auction is
exceptional. Pieces ranging from $20.00 all the way
into the tens of thousands will be offered so
hopefully anybody desiring a piece of ?The Rock? will
have the opportunity.

The Main Mass and Complete Slice have been tabled
pending ongoing negotiations leaving 847.6 prepared
and rated grams minus the 40 plus gram type specimen.
I have not had the chance to pick a piece for my own
collection yet and neither have other team members. We
will pick our personal collection pieces later so the
inventory will be offered to the public first; the
scientists have already chosen the type specimen. A
NASA representative has asked us to keep track of the
initial distribution for inclusion into a future
database so we will provide a registry of all pieces,
if you care to enter your name on it.

PLEASE READ:
We are pleased to announce that we were given the
privilege of displaying the Northwest Africa 5000
inventory in Room 230 at the InnSuites. As most of you
know, this room shared by both Anne Black and Geoff
Notkin will be the place to be, especially with Art
signing his new book, congratulations Art!

We will have the inventory on display for a very
limited time from the afternoon of Thursday February
7th to Saturday night as we will be leaving early
Sunday Morning.

Best Regards,

Adam