[meteorite-list] Fun questions, or public FAQs

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:13:01 -0500

Mark/All,
Good one here, and the examples could string out a thread for a week. My
favorite in doing educational outreach, which comes up all the time after
answering another question around how we know the ages of meteorites (i.e.
half lives of unstable, decaying radioactive isotopes), is "Are these
meteorites radioactive?" (this question usually comes after they've been
handling them for quite some time, and it's usually asked by a seemingly
concerned teacher). The answer, of course, is "Yes." Panic typically sets
in, until they hear "...but no more radioactive than you are."
Happy New Year,
Dave
www.fallingrocks.com