[meteorite-list] New Moroccan fall

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:07:29 -0700

Impacts that are audible are exceedingly rare events. Except for the utterly
bizarre, and possibly singular example of Carancas, I don't know of any
meteorite fall that was audible to anybody more than a few meters from the
impact (I would guess a few Sikhote-Alin craters produced a fair bit of
noise).

If people actually heard the impact when they were too far away to
immediately identify the site, this was a crater forming event- possible,
but not very likely. Far more likely is that people heard sonic booms
echoing around hills and valleys- sounds that would be far more impressive
(and "scarier") than any impact sound.

Of course, if there was a hypervelocity impact, people will be coming from
all over the world to study it- and there may well be no meteorites at all.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com