[meteorite-list] Encasing meteorites in resin to make trinkets

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 09:02:33 -0800 (PST)

This, I have to disagree on. Those who come to Tucson, can see in my room a piece of Brenham, encased in Lucite by Nininger himself. The interesting part, is that it is a partslice, perfectly preserved, in oil! Inside the Lucite cube, the slice is suspended in some kind of oil, where it moves, and looks like it was cut and polished yesterday. I have the receipt with it, Nininger sold it in the 1940s. This kind of preservation for a rusty meteorite with a huge amount of material is OK for me. A gaudy paperweight is a different story. I would like to know how this was done, as it would be a great way to display slices of crappy rusting meteorites like Admire, which on it's own, will turn into kitty litter in a short time.
Michael Farmer