[meteorite-list] meteorite blooper of the year

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:45:43 -0800

Hi Bob,
        The term "slab" is almost never used for meteorites. Instead,
It is slice, part slice full slice OR "end piece" (any "slice" or hunk
Of meteorite with one cut face only is an "end piece").
        Usually, "slab" is qualified with "a full slice forming a giant
Slab" or "a flat end piece forming a slab" type of thing; but mostly
"slab" is very rarely used as a meteorite term - and then, always
In the context of a HUGE full slice - such as a giant slab
Of Esquel (large enough to be a coffee table).
        In short, it is a vague term and a "slice" or "end piece" with
Dimensions are much more definitive terms.
        Best wishes, Michael