[meteorite-list] look at the crappola to apply for export in oz

From: Bob WALKER <qwalkra_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:44:31 +1000

Listoids - check this out - Iz reckons we should all email or telephone or
both re the repressive legislation and recommend its review - you can fire
off emails to Marion.Garratt at environment.gov.au or
movable.heritage at environment.gov.au - hell - send it to both...

The solution (in my opinion) is only to restrict the export of
scientifically significant meteorites (incl all planetaries) and allow the
export of common or ordinary meteorites where no further scientic
investigation is needed or warranted and maybe to set a cap ie gold nuggets
worth under $15000 can presently be exported... but do I hear you say does
this mean we can cut the bigger chunks up and apply separately - in my
opinion no

You may indeed have another useful opinion and I urge you to comment...

Without some review of the legislation oz is doomed which is a shame in view
of the research of the past

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your application (No ******) submitted under the Protection of
Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986 and received by post on ****** for a
permanent export permit for a meteorite.

Your application is receiving attention and you will be advised of its
progress in due course. We recommend applicants allow 6 - 8 weeks for a
non-contentious application to be processed. In the case of a contentious
application (ie. one where the expert examiner who provides the assessment
of the object for the National Cultural Heritage Committee makes a
recommendation against export), additional expert advice is sought. Given
this, and dependent upon the complexity of the case, the application process
can take longer. In these circumstances applicants will be advised by
letter.

Please do not hesitate to contact Cultural Property Section on telephone 02
6274 1810, fax 02 6274 2731 or e-mail movable.heritage at environment.gov.au
should you have any queries.

Yours sincerely
Marion