[meteorite-list] IMCA?

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:26:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi List,

I never thought I would agree with any of these views that are critical
of the IMCA, but I must admit (unfortunately) that I have seen some
things that gives me pause about ever wanting to join again.

I was rejected on my first time around for being "too new" on the scene.

A few months later, a beginner I started out in the hobby (introduced
and schooled) was accepted the first time after being on the scene for
a fraction of the time I have.

I have seen IMCA members use incorrect or misleading terminology to
describe/sell specimens.

I have seen IMCA members butcher and disrespect meteorites in the name
of making a buck. (hideous resin-encased kindergarten junk)

I have had IMCA members be rude to me - uncalled for at that.

On the plus side (for the IMCA) -

Some of the nicest people I have met on the meteorite scene are IMCA
members.

2 of my "meteorite mentors" are IMCA members - I greatly value their
friendship and expertise.

I have gotten some GREAT deals from IMCA members.

I have learned MUCH from talking with IMCA members.

So, in the end, I have to say my opinion of the IMCA is conflicted.
On the one hand, I feel a personal loyalty to some members who have
become valued friends of mine. On the other hand, I think the IMCA
is inconsistent and NEEDS TO CLEAN HOUSE. Until this house-cleaning
takes place, I am not joining (even if they'd have me).

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Message: 7