[meteorite-list] Caveat Emptor: Beware of Bob Evans!

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:25:56 -0500

First off, kudos to Al Mitterling for pointing out the riffy, illegal
business practices of Bob Evans. I'm surprised no one else has called out
this onion in the daisy patch. Bob Evans has made thousands of dollars
selling misrepresented meteorites to unsuspecting customers, notably
Plymouth and Zulu Queen. I know because I was duped into buying a sample of
his ersatz Plymouth. At the time, I had just gotten a job as collections
curator of a small Earth and Space museum. I was very excited to see the
Plymouth meteorite offered in an ad on the Meteorite List, as the town is
just down the road from us and my uncle and I had spent considerable time
researching and searching for the supposed lost main mass. (Turned out to be
a wild goose chase). Since Bob seemed to be a list member in good standing
I figured he could be trusted. If I had known enough to search the archives,
I would have seen that he is a con man. To make a long story short, Bob's
Plymouth was as phony as a 3 dollar bill. He told me it was etched before I
bought it, (it wasn't). He promised he would return my money as he stated
in the auction, (he didn't). I've asked him numerous times for my money
back and got nothing but a run around. This guy is a con artist and I must
admit he runs a good scam that has been very profitable for him. He's
giving the industry a bad name and should be flamed every time he comes out
of hiding and has the audacity to come back and post on the list. I would
like to warn all newbies: Do not deal with this guy! If you do, you will
regret it in the long run.
Phil Whitmer