[meteorite-list] iridium flares?

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 07:42:03 -0800 (PST)

In the future go to <http://www.heavens-above.com> create a free log-in if you do not already have one, enter your location ( by any of several means) then go to Iridium Flare Forecast. You may work back or forward for a few days to see in what direction and for what times a flare might be visible. This also works for satellites and the ISS including the ISS Toolbag--PLUS the Shuttle Orbiter when aloft.

Yes flares are usually seen in afternoon and early morning when closer to the horizon; Anytime the solar panels form an angle of incidence that directs sunlight to your location. That is, flares occur continuously but we only observe them when we are at the right location for the light to come our way.

Elton