[meteorite-list] Souslovo, Beaver, Brenham, Plainview, etc.

From: Matthias Bärmann <majbaermann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:35:40 +0100

Hello Bernd & listoids,

the same description - ""Chindu chinna waru chingi yaku" in aboriginal
idiom - is told in regard to the Henbury crater field. And as far as I was
told there could be doubts whether it's authentic. Nevertheless it seems
probable that Aboriginies witnessed the Henbury fall, about 4.500 years ago
(Boxhole is much older, ca. 54.000 years).

In any case, it seems that the Henbury craters - and probably others too? -
had the status of tabu for indigenous people. Perhaps caused by fear or
simply respect. Another reason could be the concept of the songlines which
seem to represent the reality as a whole. And as each single structure of
the landscape was present in a certain passage of a song, it seems natural
that the different tribes tried to preserve the landscape as well as the
songs, unchanged as far as possible.

My best,

Matthias