[meteorite-list] Toolbox Meteorite - Toluca

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 10 Dec 2008 22:20:07 UT

Frank wrote:

"Nininger found several toolbox meteorites such as...Toluca ..."

Meteorites of Xiquipilco, Mexico - by Dr. H.H. Nininger, Director, American
Meteorite Museum, Winslow, Ariz., Photos by Nininger. Reprint from Earth
Science Digest, November, 1952, Vol. 6, No. 3. Pages 19 to 30:

Alzate Ramirez, writing in 1831, stated that from time immemorial the haciendas of
Xiquipilco and vicinity had depended entirely on "native iron" found by the Xiquipilco
Indians for all their tools and implements. Says Rarmirez, "About the year 1776 I went to
Xiquipilco to see with my own eyes the famed native iron. I found two smiths established
in the town who worked the native iron, and in my sight they forged it and worked it into
the shape demanded of them."

Best,

Bernd