[meteorite-list] Toolbox Meteorite

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:54:20 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

Nininger found several toolbox meteorites such as Arispe (anvil), Maimi ("deadman" on a fence), Toluca (hammer stones to make morters) etc.

He hit the jackpot though when he searched the Plainview strewn field. He found a stone used to keep the chicken coop door closed, stones used as weights in a pork barrel, and used as a weight on a milk crock cover. The best Plainview tool, in my opinion, was a stone used to get a bull's attention. Of this, Nininger wrote, " he went to the cow shed and from a crossbeam he took a small fist-sized meteorite." The farmer said, "I've been keeping this around to take after my bull with...My bull has a pretty mean disposition but when he goes on a rampage I only need to hit him once with this, somewhere around the head, and he quites right down."

Sounds like this was a very useful tool!

LaPaz also notes a couple of meteorite tools. The 1,375-pound La Caile, France, meteorite was used by the people of the village for two centuries as a seat in front of their church. LaPaz mentions the Rafruti, Switzerland iron meteorite, which appears to be a seasonal tool. The finder used it as a footwarmer, apparently heating it nightly before putting in his bed.

Of course, there's also Blackwell, used for years as a doorstop before being liberated. I believe Martin has a piece of this in his toolbox collection.

Enjoy,

Frank