[meteorite-list] New Canadian Meteorite

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:08:20 EST

Greg and All,

I agree Greg, and likewise I hope the Canadian Government Researchers are
making their GPS coordinates of all their finds available to private hunters so
that the private hunters can compile data into their GPS units to be able to
get all the meteorites recovered from within the strewnfield.

I totally agree with Greg, this is a great opportunity for scientists,
hunters and collectors to work together.

In fact, if the government employees would publicly state how much they
would be willing to buy, and at what price they will pay, agreeing to let the
rest go through the export permit process without challenge would be a great
help too. If local land owners and hunters would know what the values would be,
then better decisions could be made for everyone involved.

Quotes in the newspapers that there "could be millions of dollars of
meteorites on the ground" and that a head sized rock "could be worth $50,000" or
that a "1 kilo rock is worth $10,000" is all nice, but it is so vague as to what
the real values are that I am sure the locals are a bit confused right now.

Letting the locals cash in on the finds will only help more Canadians in
future falls get excited about going out and hunting too.

It will turn out bad if all the locals think that if 500,000 g are found
that they can automatically expect to get $5,000,000 (or more) out of it, then
the government ends up only buying a kilo's worth and then no one else is
interested in paying anything 6 months from now because a new fall (or 2 or 3)
will have diverted everyone's attention elsewhere.

Letting all the kilos of Tagish Lake fall to the bottom of the lake when the
thaw came was an embarrassment for all the people claiming they were "acting
in the best interest of science by not sharing the information." Here is
their chance to redeem themselves, while the world is watching.

If there is indeed thousands of stones, weighing hundreds of kilos total,
there is no way a single college professor/researcher will be able to hunt the
entire strewnfield... even if he took a 10 year sabbatical to keep hunting.

But with cooperation with the private hunters, there is a chance that many
if not most could be found in a short period of time, maybe in a year or two.

We will see what happens...

Steve Arnold #1
www.SteveArnoldMeteorites.com

In a message dated 12/5/2008 12:46:39 P.M. Central Standard Time,