[meteorite-list] Ad New Canadian Meteorite for sale

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:58:37 EST

Greg,

As I understand, the Canadian law was put in place to give Canadian
Scientists first shot at ALL the grant money on research for any newly found
meteorites in Canada.

If any meteorite is allowed outside the Canadian borders, it would allow
some other scientist or institution in another country to get that grant money.
In some cases that grant money could total in the tens of thousands or
hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I am not sure what Canadian Meteorite Researchers earn each year, but their
salaries can't be cheap for their employers.

So, as long as the physical rock stayed in Canada, then no harm can be done
to the Canadian scientists.

Years ago, I purchased a new Canadian Meteorite when I drove to Canada. I
gave it to a Canadian collector to hold for me when I returned to the states
to figure out what I wanted to do with it. I then sold the ownership of the
rock to another American meteorite dealer, even though the rock always
remained, and to this day it still remains in Canada.

I would imagine, if this meteorite is indeed an ordinary chondrite, there
will be little research money given to study it. So the scientists probably
will not be interested in buying much of it, since there will be little to no
return on their investment.

If there is 100,000 grams eventually found, they probably will not want to
pay over $10/g, or spend $1,000,000 if their grant money they will earn would
be less than $1,000,000.

The reason why the Canadians were willing to pay the one guy $650,000 for
his 650g Tagish Lake, is because they could make so much MORE profit off the
grant money to study that one.

So if any finds from the Marsden Meteorite are submitted for an export
permit, all the institutions in Canada will get to stall for 6 months to
eventually end up saying that they don't want to buy any of them, providing that in
the next 6 months they get more than enough donated to them for free, or if
someone else wants to sell them some at below market values.

I think the real question to be asked is HOW do they determine what the
"fair market value" of the meteorites are?

If Sonny and McCartney can find a buyer for $50 a gram, does that then force
the government to now pay $50/g IF any others are found and the finders
choose to request the export permit, and a Canadian institution would to buy them
 first? If Sonny or McCartney do not sell all of their finds at their
asking price of $50/g, maybe they could put one of their finds up on Ebay, with
the stipulation that the rock will NOT be shipped out of Canada, then Canadian
bidders could help establish the retail value. Of course, a foreign buyer
could bid and own it, even though they would not take actual physical
possession of it.

As I said before, IF the Canadian government is more than willing to pay a
true fair market value on all found meteorites, then this is wonderful. It
will encourage many people to go out and find meteorites in Canada knowing
there is a reward waiting for their finds

Steve Arnold #1
www.SteveArnoldMeteorites.com

In a message dated 12/5/2008 11:15:11 A.M. Central Standard Time,