[meteorite-list] Scratch that 250 gram "main mass"

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:44:05 -0500

There's a (lousy) photo on the page.

How do you get drool stains off a keyboard?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081204/meteorite_update_081204/20081204?hub=SciTech

Prairie resident finds big chunk of meteorite

Updated Thu. Dec. 4 2008 11:04 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

People are calling it the "Big Kahuna" -- a 13-kilogram meteorite that landed in
Buzzard Coulee, Sask. two weeks ago.

Amateur meteorite hunter Les Johnson says it's "blind luck" that he found the
Big Kahuna about five kilometres from the pond where University of Calgary
professor Alan Hildebrand and graduate student Ellen Milley first found 10 such
space rock fragments near Lloydminster, Alta. on November 27.

At the time, the university researchers reported that they believed more
fragments were strewn across a 20-square-kilometre area near the Battle River.

That's where Johnson got his cue on where to look for the fallen meteorites,
which fell to Earth during the meteor event that was seen across several Prairie
provinces on November 20.

"Just blind luck really," Johnson told CTV Edmonton.

"I was out searching for several days and we heard Dr. Hildebrand and his team
had found some things further north, so I thought we'd better come out on this
side of the river and have a look."

The Big Kahuna, Johnson said, "has got some heft to it."

At present, dozens of meteorite fragments have been recovered since November 20.

Robert Haag, an Arizona meteorite collector, promised $10,000 to the first
person who found a kilogram-sized fragment.

Canada's largest meteorite shower took in Bruderheim, Alta., when more than 700
fragments were recovered in 1960.

With a report from CTV Edmonton and files from The Canadian Press