[meteorite-list] NWA 3151 Brachinite Greg's thin section

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:20:41 EST

Hi Dirk and List, I am not up to speed on the latest pairings or the going
price for each. I respect a quality thin section and this NWA 3151
Brachinite thin section just that.

Even if it is terrestrial basalt, a good thin section is a joy and believe
me, even a Lunar thin is a disappointment if prepared poorly. (I have a few).
  Most people do not have the contacts to get a fine thin section prepared
regardless of how much material they may have.

My passion is high magnification meteorite micrographs. I like to think it
is more art than science since I am working with magnification far greater
than what would be used in classification determinations. Some times the
structures I see are breath taking and not at all visible in standard methods. My
high magnifications require great thin sections.

My next Meteorite Times article is on this slide so I don't want to get in
the way of Meteorite Times viewings by sharing all the shots. MT will be
posted in just a few days but in the mean time, if any one wants one I will send
one full size 8mp image as an attachment, The image is taken at a
magnification of approximately 400X with a field of view of 0.25 mm. Very cool
structure in this image. Hopefully it will make you want to see the rest.
(especially the shots by Bernd Pauli.

Tom Phillips

In a message dated 12/1/2008 5:38:20 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,